Sunday, April 15, 2012

Good Godot, That Was Awful

Play Review:
Waiting For Godot

by Samuel Beckett

Company: Innovation Theatre Works
Venue: ITW Main Stage
Run: 3/5/12 - 3/22/12

While I don’t pretend I’m so old as to know everything about myself, I do know what kinds of plays and movies I am likely to enjoy. Upon reading the promotional material for Waiting For Godot at Innovation Theatre Works in Bend, Oregon, my gut reaction was of non-interest. Wikipedia and various essays described it as “absurdist” and “existentialist”, two words that characterize the genre of art for which I have the least appreciation.

However, for a handful of reasons I suppressed that initial reaction and decided to give it a go. For one, it was touted by multiple sources as a pivotal moment in modern theater. As a cinema enthusiast, I have known the trials of getting the uninitiated to understand why Citizen Kane is an essential cornerstone in the foundation of film history. So as a theater hobbyist, I felt I should at least give “the most important play of the modern theater” a chance to speak for itself.

For another, one of the cast members essentially dared me to see it. And third, a friend offered to enable my completion of the dare by purchasing my ticket at a time when I could not afford the ticket price.

Given the script’s lack of forward momentum through a traditional A-line narrative, the play defies a standard plot synopsis. It revolves around two men, Estragon and Vladimir (informally addressing each other as “Gogo” and “Didi”), who are waiting by a dead tree for someone named Godot (“GOD-oh”, not “g’DOH”). Apparently they have been requested by Godot to wait there for him, though neither of them can recall for certain what time Godot will arrive, or if they are by the correct tree, or even whether they will recognize Godot when they see him.

They pass a long and tedious day by talking, sometimes agreeably and sometimes less so. They ponder things like Gogo’s too-tight pair of boots, and whether the nearby tree would support them if they committed suicide by hanging, and other topics I cannot recall because I forgot my notepad. As the day rolls on, a man named Pozzo passes through, along with his tethered lackey Lucky. They stop and join the other two in conversation, pondering such things as why Pozzo keeps Lucky in slavish service to him, and what twilight looks like in that part of the country.

Eventually night falls, and a messenger boy arrives to inform Gogo and Didi that Godot will not be arriving that day after all, but will come tomorrow. The two men head off to find sleep, with the knowledge that they must return the next day and continue waiting.

That’s Act One.

Act Two is more of the same, though the tree has sprouted a few leaves, Pozzo shows up blind, and Gogo has a curious lack of memory regarding anything that happened the previous day. Eventually night falls, and a messenger boy arrives to inform Gogo and Didi that Godot will not be arriving that day after all, but will come tomorrow. Imagine Groundhog Day, only without Bill Murray’s ever finding a happy ending.

And at this point I am not sure how to proceed. Given the bizarre nature of the entire thing, it’s a bit tricky to critique any particular aspect of it. The performances were certainly capable – having worked with cast members Andrew Hickman, Liam Mykael O’Sruitheain, and Alastair Morley Jaques in the past, I expected no less. I can’t even really comment on Brad Hills’ work as the director because, knowing the caliber of three of the four main performers first-hand, I’m quite sure they all brought a great deal of collaboration to the table.

Tim Blough and Hickman, as Gogo and Didi respectively, are well-matched counterpoints. Blough brings out the dour skepticism of Gogo, who is far more ready to give up on ever meeting Godot than Didi is. Ailing from tight boots and foot lesions, Gogo makes many attempts to leave, only to be stopped by Didi; Blough’s deeply resonant voice and long face enhance Didi’s pessimism nicely without being so overtly depressing as to make us want to join him in hanging from the tree.

On the other side, Hickman makes Didi a fraternal twin of Stan Laurel: His hands constantly fidget with his short necktie, he deftly twiddles his hat, and he walks with feet turned way out in a bouncy waddle. Didi seems the more confident in the imminent arrival of Godot, and maintains the sunnier disposition throughout most of the play. Such optimism is brought out by Hickman’s lilting tenor tones and animated physical features.

Liam O’Sruitheain never fails to intrigue me. I have seen him on four occasions now, and he always manages to make his characters far richer than the scripts suggest. Though I cannot for the life of me figure out what Beckett’s script is even trying to suggest and therefore cannot decide whether his performance here was richer or not, O’Sruitheain is watchable as always, pretty much stealing Act One out from under everyone else with his wide range of emotional choices.

Alastair Morley Jaques plays Lucky, who carries around Pozzo’s belongings, and spends every waking moment on stage looking utterly fatigued by the load. Apart from one excessive outburst akin to the Monty Python skit where Eric Idle drove Michael Palin to insanity by complaining about travel agency package deals, Lucky is silent, a character of pure physicality, and Jaques handles it ably.

I started with the performances because I want to differentiate them from the play itself: It is possible to deliver a flawless and expert performance of a script, at the same time that the script itself is not even worth performing. And that is the situation we have here.

The easiest way I can think of to describe what I saw is “doodling”. A person sits and doodles to entertain himself. (I might add that’s why I blog about the theatrical arts, though I do appreciate anyone who stops to read.) It matters not if he doodles anything resembling a decent picture; it’s not really meant for anyone else to look at. And this is the impression I am left with: A play full of doodles.

Samuel Beckett’s script jumps from topic to topic, with or without rational motivation in the dialogue. What portion of page ten requires it to come before page eleven? Would the audience notice if the two pages had been switched? Doubtful. Apart from one hint at an attempt to be deliberately philosophical about the brevity of life (which Beckett also covered in his play Breath), none of the dialogue carries any significant weight or lasting resonance. Some humorous lines are good for a chuckle for their own sake, but they are just chuckles adrift, not serving any larger purpose. There is physical schtick reminiscent of a Mel Brooks film, but it comes and goes with stark inconsistency. Like a child doodling on page after page of blank paper and then throwing them all in a meaningless pile, Beckett doodles out a few dozen theatrical sequences that add up to nothing intriguing whatsoever.

The actors inhabit these doodles consistently and even creatively. O’Sruitheain’s brief discourse on the difficulty of sitting on his stool a second time is delivered with a sly twinkle. Blough and Hickman have volleys of patter that develop a nice rhythm. The list of such individual doodles is long, but doodles they remain: Even when all bundled together, they are still just doodles.

I am told that all this doodling is actually a play wherein Beckett uses the absurd setting to toss out to the audience several thought-provoking questions about the human condition. Indeed, this is the reason cited for the play’s standing as a landmark in modern theater: Never before had a play asked the questions and assigned the audience to ponder their own answers. From everything I have read, it is safe to say existentialism in theatrical form was born right here in Waiting For Godot.

And that is certainly a plausible explanation for my complete lack of enjoyment. I disagree with existentialist philosophy, and with existentialist art. Every play I consider a favorite was written before Waiting For Godot, back when playwrights actually had, you know, something to say. Back before modern art disguised Western culture’s growing relativism and skepticism in a cloak of pseudo-intellectualism.

The director’s program notes invite us to open our minds to the questions being asked. But even disregarding my belief in the presence of absolute truths and the rejection of existential thinking, I still did not even get the impression I was being asked any questions at all, let alone thought-provoking ones I was being burdened to answer. I cannot, a mere two hours after leaving the theater, name for you a single issue about the human condition I am now supposed to be mulling over. If I did not know better, I would say the whole experience felt like a big practical joke by Beckett, who went to his grave laughing quietly about how he duped every producer, director, actor, and receptive audience member into thinking that the play was actually significant. I have no idea what it is about this play that would intrigue any director into staging it, or any actor into auditioning for it. I’m not trying to be snarky, I’m just being honest.

And it’s not that I’m hopelessly shallow: I don’t mind a play or movie that gives me something to think about. But I want to know that the author had a specific assertion in mind, even if I have to dig for it, and even if I disagree with it. Waiting For Godot is none of these. Beckett refused to assign meaning to the play, which makes sense given its existential purpose, but in doing so he completely alienates me.

I think by now I’m beating a dead horse. Waiting For Godot is, for my taste, the worst theater script I have ever seen performed. I would hire any of the performers I saw, who all proved themselves skilled in creating and delivering consistent characters. But the play itself is useless. The fact that Innovation Theatre Works is having a hard time filling the seats for this production suggests I’m not the only one completely put off by its incomprehensible inanity.

When I was a kid who would grimace at some new dish placed before me at the dinner table, my mother would ask, “How do you know you don’t like it? You haven’t even tried it.” Whatever else you may think of my opinion of Waiting For Godot, you cannot say I didn’t even try it.

Basic Ticket Price: $15-$20
Value for Money: Not worth it

14 comments:

  1. Brad Hills: "You are probably the biggest buffoon I have ever run across. Your review is completely inane and the over 400 people who have seen this production and the thousands of others in times past who got so much out of it agree with me."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad is much kinder than I would have been. YOU ARE A LOSER! ALWAYS HAVE BEEN... ALWAYS WILL BE!
      Love,
      Kelly D. Edwards

      Delete
    2. Ahhh the loser card...so very middle school. Did you make the shape of an "L" on your forehead while you wrote this?

      Mike G. Johnson

      Delete
  2. The one follow-up I will post is that I did not intend my article to "dismiss" Brad Hills' work as the director, an assertion made on Facebook moments ago. But on a play like this, exactly how much of any given artistic notion came from the actors and how much came from the director? Indeed, on ANY play?

    It was not until I directed my first community theater play that I became directly acquainted with the collaboration process, where actors with experience took my vision and brought much richer notions to the delivery. All of my community theater productions have ended up better than I envisioned because of the creativity of the performers.

    My comment about not knowing how much to credit directly to Brad was in this vein, then. For example, was it HIS idea to channel Stan Laurel through Andrew's performance? - Or was it Andrew's? This is a question no audience member would be able to objectively assert, and thus my statement that I did not know how much of what I saw came directly from Brad's vision.

    The rest I stand by, and I'm sorry the local theatrical community has a hard time accepting the fact that there will be a wide variety of opinions out there - including opinions that Brad's notes in the playbill prescribed as a legitimate option, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to make a comment about what I believe a good director is. As an actor who has worked with both directors who drove me insane and directors who allowed me to do my best work, I definitely count Brad as one of the latter. Actually, let's just be honest, he's the best director I've ever had the privilege to work with. Period. And here's why. A good director is someone who comes in prepared, with his or her own ideas, well thought out and clear, but allows the actors to play around in rehearsal enough to come up with their own discoveries. These discoveries may then inspire the director to run with them and perhaps surprise him or her and lead to new, even more interesting choices. The directors that drive me insane are those who just have their concept and block the show immediately, as if I'm a puppet, and don't allow for any real exploration of the potential choices. There's no impulse, it's all calculated. I personally think it is very easy to spot a show that has been directed in this way. The acting becomes mechanical and devoid of interesting choices. However, when a show is directed well, the actors will do their best work. I personally think that if you thought the acting in this show was exceptional, Brad's directing had to have contributed. Theatre is a collaboration--you're right. A director's job is not to dictate everything that should happen, as if the actors are puppets, but to provide a environment in which the actor is encouraged to explore and make discoveries with his fellow actors. Therefore I don't think it matters who, Brad or Andrew, came up with the idea to channel Stan Laurel, because if Brad had done a bad job directing, that discovery may never have been made in the first place. It's more than just a "vision" as you say. It's about being flexible and working with the actors.

      Delete
  3. Brian, I, for one, will never be sorry that I purchased a ticket for you to see this show. I was so appreciative that you had an open mind to want to see it, that it was worth it to me. It was also worth it to me, at the time, to step up to the plate and put my money where my mouth was to help a flailing theater keep their doors open. I can't, necessarily, say that anymore after reading Brad's reply. Not everything is for everyone. It is human nature. But to be called names for having an opinion, is, in my opinion, unacceptable. Theater is what it is. See it, don't see it, but don't blast someone if they don't happen to share the opinion of the majority. It has been my pleasure to work with AND for you Brian, even if we don't see eye to eye.

    Jolie Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is most amusing is how upset people are getting over an opinion expressed in a for-fun blog that is read by MAYBE one or two people a MONTH, judging from the hit counter on my stats page. In three years of writing about movies and plays for the fun of it, I've never had the graph go above 5 people in any given month - so it's not like this one blog affects much public opinion anyway.

    If nothing else, my hit counter indicates I am setting a record for the number of readers this week! Kinda cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Facebook: "If you know you're going to hate something and aren't interested in supporting the enterprise then don't come. And if you do come and the experience is exactly what you believed it was going to be, I really think you need to recuse yourself from writing a review."

    You did read my opening paragraphs, right? I paused in my pre-conceived notions, spent an hour researching what it was about and why it was hailed as great (about 55 more minutes than I've ever devoted to any other play I've ever contemplated seeing) and opted to give it a chance.

    If I hadn't gone, I'd have been called closed-minded. Instead, I went with an open mind as encouraged, ready to let the play express itself. For that I'm getting excoriated. My bad, I'll never be open-minded again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "My bad I'll never be open minded again"?!" Really, are you in Grade School? I'm sure Samuel Beckett is very sorry you didn't enjoy one of the classics of modern theater because you spent a whole hour trying to "research" the play. One would hope a person would get a PROPER education and be able to appreciate a challenging piece of theater before one considers himself qualified to criticize. If you had, or if it had sunk in, you would realize that not every pece of art is meant to be "enjoyed". The fact that you didn't "get it" or that it brought no questions to your "mind" is no surprise. It takes a certain level of thinking to consider the message of the absurd. Perhaps you should stick to criticizing children's theater, or light musical comedies and leave the challenges to the grown-ups. No one would expect a childish mind to understand or appreciate this production. The "depth" of your writing shows the maturity level of your "thinking". Perhaps you could start by reading books without illustrations. Your petulant replies further reinforce this image of immaturity your writing projects. Stick to the comfort of the obvious instead of trying to "understand" the absurd. It's over your head.(Google has a dictionary available, if you need.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since when does a casual blogger need to be "qualified" to criticize? What is any different between me and the many others who didn't get it and didn't enjoy it, except that I dared say so out loud in a small theatrical community rather than join in the back-patting crowd that hypocritically smile and tell each other "Great job!" even when they don't mean it? I've heard from a dozen others who agreed with my assessment - are we all small-minded and should stick to children's theater?

      Or you could take the high road and try to educate me on why the play is great, something no one has yet to do. I hear vague superlatives: "It's a classic", "It's great", "It's so insightful", etc., but I have yet to have anyone even try to delineate why.

      I wrote a five-page review on "Citizen Kane" in which I actually attempted to give reasoned explanations for my appreciation of the movie. When you're ready to give a reasoned explanation for your appreciation of "Waiting For Godot", I'll be glad to read and learn. Until then, raving sarcasm doesn't help your case.

      Delete
  7. Lilli Ann Linford-ForemanApril 17, 2012 at 9:02 AM

    There are many, many things we don't agree on, Brian, and clearly this script is one of them. Still, I appreciated reading your considered feedback on the performances and the lengths to which you went to differentiate between your dislike of the play and your engagement with the actors' performances . I am not much of a fan of blogs, because they so often seem to be merely an excuse for meanness and self-aggrandizement. Nor do I often read the comments below the blogs....for the same reasons. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading your articulate and honest response that I both agree AND disagree with in just about equal measure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I didn't tear him down, I rather pointed out that he was speaking from a biased, uninformed position that might prove harmful to someone who wanted to know if they should see this show and who may not share his particular tastes."

    vs

    "You are probably the biggest buffoon I have ever run across."

    I'll let that double standard speak for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's OK, Brian. I don't think you are going to Hell for not liking "Godot." However, Godot might be a teentsy - weentsy upset. I like you anyway. But, don't tell Godot.

    Sometimes, if we revisit the written words of an author whose work we feel we don't like, we discover something new ....... just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The show is about the meaningless tasks of mankind. Our seemingly invaluable lives progressing through days that aren't remembered. Similar to this bickering. Our two leads are symbolic of one being. We have the mind (Vladimir) and the body (Estragon). This is apparant when you recognize the character traits of both. Didi being the more responsible of the two and remembering more than his companion Gogo, the constantly hungry partner who finds himself talking about his body and being beaten days before or what not. These characters are faced with a pointless and never-ending task to meet Godot (he who is believed to be God), for Godot has all the answers where we do not. Pozzo and Lucky symbolize worthless societal efforts where Didi and Gogo are simply onlookers. Pozzo and Lucky resemble mankinds constant power struggle. It is for this reason there is the unique scene where Lucky's hat is removed and he is able to reveal what one is to assume the atrocities of our species...well, in a really weird way. The second act solidifies their roles through their transformation. Pozzo is weak and blind and no longer has power. Only the onlookers do, and it is for this reason when Pozzo finds himself on the ground unable to get up Gogo and Didi attempt to assist him. This is where the symbolism enters. In an attempt to assist another they find themselves falling and being powerless themselves. It is at this point Beckett is expressing his philosophical view on power. One must only gain power through anothers surrender of it or the other way around. Yet, the biggest ideal expressed in this play is that mankind is only good for one thing. Since this is postmodern in nature and therefore pretty dark one can only expect a glimmer of hope if any. In this show Beckett emphasizes that mankind isn't worthless entirely for the sole reason that we are aware of our faulty existance and our short lives but still push on. Gogo and Didi do not hang themselves but instead deal with constant bad news and fading hopes of accomplishing their goal. Being in the postmodern era we frequently question our lives meaning and devalue any answer one can come up with, yet for some reason we progress onward and that is what Beckett is expressing in this show. Our one noble feature. Hopefully that answers some questions about anything. This feud is probably one of the meaningless things Beckett is refering too. Anyway, my grammar and spelling may be wrong at points but I wasn't paying much attention because this whole ordeal is pretty silly. Yep, I studied this for about a month in my college Lit course but hey I suppose others may disagree with what I just said and call me some idiot. Don't really care though. I just wanted someone to actually tell Brian why the show is meaningful because it was obvious that nobody had. -????

    ReplyDelete

What? What?? You dare to have additional or contrary information to post on my flawless and impeccable opinions???